Students do best in a safe and welcoming environment. Schools and families can help with this by:
- Ensuring every student is connected with an adult within his or her school who can watch for issues and help with solutions.
- Building relationships with classmates and peers.
- Planning for success by having attendance goals and addressing possible obstacles in advance.
Things don’t always go smoothly. Planning ahead can help you be ready for issues with:
- Transportation (Explore carpool, bus, safe walk/bike options.)
- After school pick-up and care (Have a back-up!)
Ask for Help
These are common reasons students miss school. Visit 211info.org to learn about local community resources, or ask your school for suggestions.
- Health issues
- Acute or chronic illness
- Mental health services
- Social emotional supports
- Behavioral support
- Oral (mouth and teeth) health
Use Life Hacks
Work on household routines to make it easier to get out the door.
- Evening routines
- Homework help
- Getting ready
- Planning for the day